Zhang Fengxian in his wheelchair
I am Zhang Fengxian, 64-year-old, a native of Taji Town, Jinhu County, Huai’an City, Jiangsu Province. I had worked in ICBC Jinhu Sub-branch until I quitted the job to practice Falun Gong. I had had a stable job and a happy family: my parents were farmers, my wife was a local government official and we had twins a boy and a girl.
I learned Falun Gong from my colleagues in the bank. They often went to practice Falun Gong, and told me that practicing it was able to improve physical health, as well as to improve bearing, which were helpful to our career development. Out of curiosity, I joined them to practice Falun Gong.
Many fellow practitioners told me that Falun Gong not only improved their physical health, but also brought them good luck. Gradually, I believed in these remarks, and felt that my health was better than before and everything went on smoothly. So I worshiped Li Hongzhi and Falun Gong very much.
In 2000, I was forsaken in the bank because I refused to stop practicing Falun Gong. So I decided to quit the job and to devote myself to learning Falun Gong. I organized a group with other practitioners to study the book Zhuan Falun. Due to my obsession with Falun Gong, my wife alienated me; my parents felt deep regret for me; my children were no longer close to me.
In 2002, my wife was so disappointed with me that she requested divorce and left me with our children.
About one year later, I felt that I was about to achieve consummation. One day, when I read from the book Zhuan Falun that a practitioner of Falun Gong was not injured even when he poured gasoline all over his body, I decided to make a try. I went to the front gate of a government building, poured gasoline over my hand and lit myself on fire, while shouting, “I am a follower of Dafa. I am blessed by Falun Dafa and Master Li.” But Falun Gong was not as magical as I expected. The sharp pain caused by the fire drove me to throw away the gasoline bottle at once. Since gasoline was poured all over my body, I had to roll over to put the fire out. The people around me helped put out the fire and took me to a hospital.
In the hospital, the injury hurt so hard that I almost lost my consciousness. But I still believed that Master Li would come to protect me with his law body. At last, doctors told my parents who came to take care of me that I was severely burned. Due to the severe burning on my hands and legs, I can no longer stand up. Up to now, I cannot expose the skin on my arms and legs to open air. I had to wear thick clothes even in hot summers.